♥ BLESSED ♥
(Pronounced like blest, not blesid)
Meaning: bringing happiness and thankfulness;
enjoying happiness; joyous; lucky; fortunate
"No matter what, through lifes ups and downs, I am blessed"
Monday, November 05, 2007
Final Exit
So I'm reading another book. This one is
called "Final Exits-the illustrated Encyclopedia on
How we die"
Now don't think I am morbid, it's just really
interesting.
This is what the book says--
"To die, kick the bucket, to meet your Maker, dead as a doornail, get whacked, smoked, bite the dust, sleep with the fishes, go six feet under—whatever death is called, it's going to happen. In 1789 Ben Franklin wrote, "In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes." Death remains a certainty. But how do we die? It's the enormous variety of how that enlivens final exits.

According to death certificates, in 1700 there were less than 100 causes of death. Today there are 3,000. With each advance of technology, people find new ways to become deceased, often causing trends that peak in the first year. People are now killed by everything, from cell phones, washing machines, lawn mowers and toothpicks, to the boundless catalog of man—made medicines. In Final Exits the causes of death—bizarre or common—are alphabetically arranged and include actual accounts of people, both famous and ordinary, who unfortunately died that way. (Ants, bad words, Bingo, bean bag chairs, flying cows, frozen toilets, hiccups, lipstick, moray eels, road kill, starfish, and toupees are only some of the more unusual causes"

Okay, so I'm reading this and then I visit Keshi's blog
and her blog post is about "6 month notice"
What would you do if you knew you only had six months.
My reply:
What a deep subject to ponder.
I wonder what I would do if I had 6 months........
1) Probably freak out a bit. This means crying, feeling sorry for myself, being angry, and then I hope I would come to acceptance becuz without it I could not live out my months as I would hope.
2) I would have to spend time at the beach. Since I live about 8 hours away from the closest beach I would have to spend some time there....I would hope to expire there.
3) I, too, would have to go out and eat all my favorite foods.
4) Write letters to all my loved ones and to ALL who have touched my life in a positive way. I hope that I don't feel the need to write to those who haven't touched me positively, I have this bad urge to write them a guilt trip letter. I hope I would rise above that naughty temptation.
5) Strengthen my faith. I hope to be as close to God and Jesus as I possibly can before I hope to finally meet them in person.
6) Tie up loose ends. Make sure that I got rid of as much debt so my husband wouldn't be left with it. So I definitely couldn't quit my job. I would also sell alot of my frivilous material goods that I have. Some of course, I would give away to loved ones and other things I would donate.
7) I would want to plan out my funeral service. I would want to see what all my priest was going to say about me. I would pick out the music, my casket, my plot, my outfit. I probably would write a letter to be read at my funeral.

Now it's your turn, I ask this question of you---
WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU KNEW YOU ONLY HAD 6 MONTHS??????
4 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Well I definitely would NOT want to know. I just would like to go out as quietly and peacefully as possible. Yeah, who doesn't want that, right?

I have made out my last will and testament.

I'll be donating my body to science, cremated and buried in a common grave with people who had the same values as I. There will be a memorial service at the University where I have donated my body and for all the people who have done the same that past year. If my loved ones want to attend the ceremony, it will be up to them. That concept works well for me. ;-) Obviously not for everyone but I feel we have to do what is right for us.

If I have any pets at the time, I have asked my friend to put them to sleep. I don't want them to be a burden on anyone and I wouldn't want them to be sent to a shelter.

But if I did have the unfortunate news of my passing, I would definitely pig out on my FAV foods!!! You can count on that!!!

Blogger Elaine Denning said...
As you know, my friend Tim was given six months to live, and he'd preveiously wondered what he'd do if he was given a death sentence. The first thing he learned was that in fact, you don't do any of the things you thought you would. (Having said that, your list is quite a sensible one!)

For his last six months he couldn't eat much, because of the drugs he was on. He couldn't travel because he couldn't get insurance. For the last three months he couldn't move out of the house. So he had to narrow his options somewhat! He did, however, plan his own funeral!

So...my answer to the question would be...it depends what I was dying of, lol. Great question, though x

Blogger Dial-Up Princess said...
I agree with miss understood...it really depends on what one was dying from.
But i'll assume for list purposes I could accomplish what I wanted to do...
I would....
_begin a journal for the kiddie so she could never wonder what would mom do
-save money or sell stuff to ensure no debts were left to my family
_if kiddie was under 18 i would change my beneficiary on my life insurance to ensure kiddie got the money or put it into a trust for her
-spend as much time as i could with my kiddie
-plan my funeral

Anonymous Anonymous said...
toothpicks?? waaaat???
did anyone die becoz of it???
u are such a sweetheart! i dont think i wud write letters to my loved ones. but give them URL of my blog :P
u are going to manage your funeral. thats sooo funny!
have a lovely sunday!!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket