♥ BLESSED ♥
(Pronounced like blest, not blesid)
Meaning: bringing happiness and thankfulness;
enjoying happiness; joyous; lucky; fortunate
"No matter what, through lifes ups and downs, I am blessed"
Saturday, July 22, 2006
To write right
Well, it's Saturday and not much stirring here in blogland. It seems pretty desolate here. Wait a minute......what's that comotion? Ahhhh nothing, just a tumbleweed blowin' by. Wonder why alot don't post on the weekend? Is it that they are too busy with their lives? Or maybe they don't have a computer at home? Or maybe bloggin' at work is just more fun?
Who knows.......but here I am, as usual.
So let me talk about a little something I got myself into.
First off, I like to write. I like the physical act of taking a pen or pencil in my hand and writing. I am the kind of person who doesn't mind filling out paperwork. I pride myself on my good handwriting. Cursive or print. It really takes alot for my hand to get tired and cramp up.
So what did I do? Well, I saw where they were needing handwriters here in the big town in which I live. I go in, do a sample and wait for them to call me to tell me if they are interested in me doing some handwritten things for their company. Example, let's say some charity is soliciting their past patrons for extra dollars. Wouldn't it be nicer to send them some note with a handwritten envelope and inside on the form written note card, there just happens to be a small handwritten note on the bottom? Makes it more personal. Makes it look like the charity went the extra mile and handwrote a little something instead of some photocopy with their name stuck in. This company that I applied to does this kinda thing for charities and such. I thought why not supplement my income with something I could do from home in my spare time? Why not supplement my income with a few extra bucks doing something I like?
Guess what? I didn't hear from the company. I was shocked. There is not much that I feel really confident about but my handwriting was one and now I didn't get a call back. What the crap? How could this be?
So my ego was humbled and I didn't think much more about it once I got over the intial shock. Then a couple of weeks ago I get a call and it was that company saying that somehow I was a "glitch" in their system and that is why they hadn't called me. Would I still be interested? Well, of course, why not. Sooooooooo, off I go, from my current job to that job (thank goodness I had overtime to use to go this first time and only time orientation)(they only had times availabe for this orientation during my normal working hours!!). I had to go in and complete two samples. First job was to do 250 envelopes. That means address 250 envelopes. That means that each envelope got a note card from that particular charity and in each note card you must write in the persons name at the top (the note card start off with Dear Friend and I must cross out the friend and enter the persons name) and then at the bottom write a quick note and then stuff the envelopes correctly with the note card and the stamped self addressed, smaller envelope which was for the donation. Sounds easy enough, right? WRONG! First off, you have to be so careful with your writing. If you make the loop or the bottoms of your "y" or "g" too long, you can't have them touching another word in another line. You got to make sure you don't put in periods or commas where they shouldn't be. You see we go off of the smaller donation envelope to get our name and addresses. So it the envelope
says: Mr Doe at the top, you can't enter Mr. Doe (see that period I slipped in) or PO Box 123. Can't write P.O. Box. Can't periods after Dr or St or Ave. Now at the bottom of the note card you had to write this little note and you had to write it at a slant and you couldn't go above a certain point and you had to make sure it was spaced correctly across the bottom of the note card. I could not believe how particular they were being!!! I felt I was changing my beautiful handwriting to fit space! So now here comes the best part? On this particular job it is only 250 pieces (ONLY 250!!!! Like that is a piece of cake or something!?) Must jobs are 500. They start you off with 250. I only get 15 cents per piece.(some jobs are higher like maybe 25 cents) So that means I make right under $40 tax free (will get 1099 at the beginning of next year!) Also, everynight I must call in my name, job number and how many pieces I have done OR I will be fined $5 (which will be taken off my pay)!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Starting this past Friday, I have 4 days to get this done. Must be turned in completed by Tuesday, by the latest, 4 p.m.
Okay, so call me dumba**, I'm up for the challenge. So I have many to go and it wouldn't be so bad if they weren't so freakin' particular. I know there needs to be some regulations set, but I think it's petty, borderline anal. You would not believe how many tries it took me on Friday to get two samples to pass!!!!!!!!!!!! Yet, I did pass and yet here I sit, takin' a break at the moment, with a whole bunch of envelopes to complete.
Now when I go to turn my job in on Tuesday, they will take out two
random envelopes and check them. If something is wrong, I have to fix them since they want the handwriting to match (which is really stupid if it's only a comma or something minor like that). I'm tellin' ya now, I'm gonna do this and I don't think that I will do it again. Infact, I keep thinking how in the world do they get people to write out these things and do it as perfect as they are wanting?????? What if they find all these stupid little error with my envelopes and do they expect me to do over all 250??? Isn't that a waste of alot of paper, ink, energy, precious time, money???? So wish me luck and no writers cramp!! If they tell me to fix my anything, I have a feelin' after how hard I'm trying, workin' and stressin' (workin' for nothin', I might add!!!!) I might tell'em, I'm sorry but I can't fix them, this is the best I can do and by then I'm sure I can fake that my wrist is broken! LOL
3 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Maybe you should contact the band for singing. I just suggested the handwriting because it is something you like to do. Don't do it anymore if it is stressing you out. Fear of Failure is Fearing to Fail. If you never try anything you will never know. I don't want to look back and say I wonder what it would of been like to have done... I don't want to sit back and wonder what if I would have ... You have some talents that you have been blessed with it is a shame that you don't use them for their potential. You know who...

Blogger KJ said...
Good lord...........

Blogger Dial-Up Princess said...
LOL. (to kristen's response to anonymous's comment)

But I seem to like to post while at work. On the weekends I rarely post and thats mostly to do with the fact it indirectly inflates my hit log. :)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket