♥ BLESSED ♥
(Pronounced like blest, not blesid)
Meaning: bringing happiness and thankfulness;
enjoying happiness; joyous; lucky; fortunate
"No matter what, through lifes ups and downs, I am blessed"
Wednesday, February 21, 2007
I'm sharing a spriritual moment
Happy Ash Wednesday!!!
The beginning of lent is upon us.
Alot of people give up things for lent.
The priest of my parish made a really good statement
about this. He said "if you are going to give
something up and it isn't going to bring you
any closer to Christ, than why do it"
Good point.
So this year instead of giving something up.
I going to do something more.
I bought this most awesome book called
Lent and Easter/Wisdom from Pope John Paul II
Compiled by John V. Kruse.
This book provides daily reflection for Ash Wednesday
through the Second Sunday of Easter.
Thoughts from Pope John Paul II are supported
by scripture, prayers and spritual growth activities.
This book is so wonderful and this is what I will do
the 40 days of Lent leading up to Easter, I will
try to grow closer to Christ. I will do this everyday.
I will make time. I think this is so much more than let's say giving
up chocolate.
So if you are interested, you can click on the button below
for daily Lent meditations and activities.
American Catholic - Lent Feature

And here is a picture of my ashes that I proudly wore today.


***********************************************
Here are the words of a song we sang at Mass
tonight. I thought it was so beautiful.
ASHES
"We rise again from ashes, from the good we've
failed to do. We rise again from ashes, to create ourselves
anew. If all our world is ashes, then must our lives be true,
an offering of ashes, an offering to you.
We offer you our failures , we offer you attempts,
the gifts not fully given, the dreams not fully dreamt.
Give our stumblings direction, give our visions wider
view, an offering of ashes, an offering to you.
Then rise again from ashes, let helaing come to pain,
though spring has turned to winter, and sunshine
turned to rain. The rain we'll use for growing,
and create the world anew from an offering of ashes,
an offering to you."
Many blessings to you!!!!!!!
10 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Being brought up a Catholic, it brings back memories...

I don't remember actually getting ashes spread on my forehead.. hummmm I'll have to ask in my family....

I like the fact that you'll do more good instead of giving up something you like....

Good plan... ;-)

Blogger Fig said...
I'm not Catholic... but
Happy Ash Wednesday Blessed!

I'm the only one in my family that isn't Catholic... long story there ... but I remember when my mom invited the priest over for dinner on a Friday during lent and ... yes... she wasn't thinking and put meat in the salad. I swear she turned 8 shades of red! The priest was laughing at her... he was a good guy and didn't care... just pushed it off to the side.

I like your template.. and yes it is easier! YAY!!!

Blogger Leigh said...
Happy Ash Wednesday thanks for sharing this. I do give up meat, this I won't change, but I do agree with it not bringing me closer. The books sounds like the perfect thing.

Have a great day.

Blogger Edtime Stories said...
I hope this period of self-reflection and preparation brings you closer to spiritual home.
You also seem to have a wise priest, one that makes you think about your ritual. Kudos to him.

Blogger Dial-Up Princess said...
I was brought up Catholic but its been years since I got the ashes.
I guess you can say I fall under the non-practicing catholic group.(long story)

But its great to see you sooo open to all its traditions. Best of luck with Lent.
Happy Belated Ash Wednesday.

Dial-Up

Blogger Blessed said...
NANCY---
Being Catholic has changed my life.
I like my plan for this Lenten Season.

LILY---
So glad to see you here!!!
I'm glad that my new template is making it easier to visit.
And thanx for sharing your story. It made me smile.

LEIGH---
Howdy!! I don't meat on Fridays and anyother day I'm not supposed to. This is good for me since I love seafood so much. Like I need an excuse.

EDTIME---
Thank you Ed. I don't anyone who wouldn't enjoy the priest of our parish.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
woow nice pic of u!!
i went to christian univ in japan, but never heard of this song.
so very interesting! thank u very much for the awesome lyrics :)

Blogger Blessed said...
NIKI---
I thought is was such the pretty little song!

Blogger Jim said...
"if you are going to give
something up and it isn't going to bring you
any closer to Christ, than why do it"


TRUE
i dont fast not on Ash Wednesday
not on Good Friday too


i have given up my catlik church
i now have a hot line with Jesus

i dont need no Padres and no Pope

i gave up my catlik church after Pope Benedict put on the shoes of Pope Paul II

Blogger Blessed said...
JIM---
I am glad you didn't give up Jesus.
Why don't you like Pope Benedict???
Curious minds want to know.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket