♥ BLESSED ♥
(Pronounced like blest, not blesid)
Meaning: bringing happiness and thankfulness;
enjoying happiness; joyous; lucky; fortunate
"No matter what, through lifes ups and downs, I am blessed"
Friday, August 04, 2006
My desk
I know in the big scheme of things, this subject is really not that important. Guess you could say it's a "D M"---Don't Matter.
But I had to blog about it since it did disturb me a bit yesterday.
In the last week, I had heard a rumor floating aroung the office that since we have been re-doing our office (new wallpaper, new carpet, new office machines/appliances) and trying to get rid of clutter-----[must interupt here and add that our office reminds me of an obstacle course, so much stuff in not that big of space-or maybe it's just too much stuff-or better yet this medical office/practice has just outgrew this space, that you are constantly trying to go around things and employees to get where ever you are going. Also reminds of bunch sardines stuck in a tight little sardine can, cramped!]-----Now, the rumor was that we were to straighten up our own personal area. I don't have a cubicle but I have this little desk. I work in check-out so I am one of those people that you're gonna see when you are leaving the office (that's just ONE of my duties).
On my desk I have a hodge-podge of frogs. As I have said in other posts, I collect frogs and obviously I'm gonna have'em on my desk. I had about 6 frogs on my desk. Nothing huge. Some real small. Mostly decorative. I have a wooden one that sits up right. It's carved out of wood, hand painted and it's legs and arms move. I had a cute little almost beanie baby type of leopard frog that sits on top of my computer (it croaks when you squeeze it's belly), a small Kermit was sitting there next to him. On my computer speakers, one on each, was bean bag frogs. They are small too. And then there was a very little lucky glass frog. A tiny frog that has some quote on it that's says you gotta believe. And one framed picture of my husband and me. Oh yeah! And on the side of my computer was the cutiest sticker that says "Have you hugged a frog today?" I've become known as the frog lady. I don't feel that my desk was cluttered or tacky. I feel my desk is cute, homey and definitely a conversation starter. A many a patient has said "so you like frogs, huh?" And then that would lead into some frog story, or how they know someone else that collects frogs or do you like frog legs (NO!!!!). And hey, did you know that frog stands for Fully Rely On God? I've even got a couple of frog gifts from patients!!!!
So finally the rumor became fact. Out came the inter-office memo and I quote:
"In an effort to improve the appearance of the office, the decision has been made that personal items must be removed from your workspace/counter space. you may have a maximum of two framed pictures in your area. No knickknacks or other personal memorabilia shall be viewable by our patients. please remember limiting your personal items will elimate clutter and allow for a more professional work environment. Your area will be cleaned and items removed by day end on Friday, August 4. Thank you in advance for your cooperation."

I have to say I was disappointed. This was my little haven. Gave me a little joy. I took pride in my desk. I have to say I was a ticked and sad.

So what did I do? Well, I found this really interesting article supporting
decorating your desk and I wrote a little introduction letter and gave it to Dr. Head-Honcho, "THE" man, who started this practice, who is the
ultimate decison maker. Top Dog. Let's me add, that this man, to me, is
not that easy to talk to. He is not what I consider approachable. He is a bit intimadating. He is old money. And not much of a sense of humor.
I feel he thinks he is above everybody except those who are old money too. He a renown surgeon. I do believe in giving respect BUT (there is always a but...) I think as a human being, I got to respectfully speak my mind despite he is the decision maker, and despite he's sometimes
condescending attitude.
So instead of going the chicken-sh*t way by not saying nothing OR putting the letter and article on his desk, I go to his office and give it to him personally. Before I gave to him, I said, "Dr. Head Honcho (of course, that's not his real name--I'm leaving his name out of this), I have something I would like you to read and I would like to know that you won't be mad at me for giving it to you?" He said sure he would read it and no he wouldn't be mad. So he reads it, or better yet skimmed it.
The letter and article were (and I'm paraphrasing):
Dr. Head Honcho,
Hello.
I just wanted to share this article (or atleast the beginning of this article) that I found very insightful.
Thanks for taking the time to read it.
Sincerely,
Me (the boat rocker---ha ha)
Here's the article (or atleast some of it):
De-stressing at Work
Stress. The ever-present shadow that follows you around the office all day. It accounts for numerous mistakes, lost man-hours, decreased productivity, increased tension and hostility, and a general dislike for work. We won't ever eliminate stress completely, but we can learn new ways to deal with it.
What follows is a list of tips to help you de-stress at work. Each exercise can be completed in ten minutes or less. Try them all a few times to see which one works best for you. Then, rotate your exercise throughout the day to relieve stress and rejuvenate.
****DECORATE YOUR SPACE****
Most people spead more waking hours at work than any other place. Yet very few poeple realize the full effect our work environment has on us. Proper environment is crucial to our well-being. That's why I want to start with this exercise.
Before you do anything else, decorate your office or cubicle in a style that fits your personality. If your company is on the stiff side, start slowly, but do something! Your surroundings should support your best efforts, and the best way to do that is put a little of you into them. Pictures, posters, knickknacks; it doesn't matter as much what it is as why it's there.......
Be creative, have fun. And most importantly, create a workspace that makes you feel good just being there.
Now the article goes on with other exercises such as breathe deeply, create a mental vacation spot, do a few yoga stretches, take a short walk, share a snack, etc.
So he says to me, "well, I could give you three more articles counter acting what that says. Like how that the clutter distracted and made people less productive.....and blah, blah, blah"........"I appreciate your individuality and respect you for showing me the article....blah, blah, blah." He was nice about it. But it really was a waste of my energy.
I just had to have me say. No since complaining about some decision you don't like without trying to fix it or possibly showing someone another side.
Yesterday at the end of my day, I got a box, packed my stuff up, and brought it home. I came in the door and my husband said "so did you get fired?"
No, but my froggies did.
7 Comments:
Blogger Dark Lady said...
You tried and that is what is important.

Blogger Madame X said...
Don't let the man get you down!

Blogger Elaine Denning said...
Is he not even allowing you one frog? One teeny weeny green thing?

Well, if you are allowed two photo frames, I think you should take a pic of all your frogs and blow it up to poster size, then mount it on the wall. x

Blogger Blessed said...
Dark lady-yes, I tried.
Madame-he's not gettin' me down.
Far from it. I've survived him and his attitude for 7 yrs.
Miss U-my husband said the same thing about takin pics and making them poster size! Hilarious!
They didn't say what size the two framed pics had to be! LOL

Blogger Dial-Up Princess said...
You tried and thats always important.

In my office they will be remodeling and we are being relocated to a new location as they remodel our old office. The Honchos have made it clear that our new temporary spaces are small and to act accordingly.

Some people are NOT happy to say the least, but I think none of them will have the Blessed guts to even say anything.

Blogger Blessed said...
Dialup Princess-Thank you for sayin' I got guts!

Blogger starry said...
We do spend most of our waking hours at work, and as long as your place is neat and clean I dont know what the problem was. but He is God and makes the decisions.I will pick my two favourite pics and put it up and maybe place the rest around your computer at home.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket